Review - Swamp Thing (New 52) #1

I mentioned in a previous post that I became fascinated by the Swamp Thing at a early age (arguably too young, even given the Comics Code restrictions of the early 80s). That fascination peaked with Saga of the Swamp Thing #19, the first issue of that title fully penciled by the great Steve Bissette and the last issue of the series to tolerate the outdated restrictions of the infamous Comics Code Authority. More than anything else in that issue I was equal parts entranced and repulsed by the amount of body horror Bissette instilled in his depiction of a resurrected Anton Arcane, his body now little more than a reanimated corpse, it's torso cybernetically grafted to a mechanical insect body in place of legs.

Sadly, it was the removal of the CCA from Saga of the Swamp Thing that took it from my access, as the news stands near me that carried comics were no longer able to stock it, and led to a long alienation from the character. It was the launch of the New 52 Swamp Thing series, however, that drew me back in, gave me a jumping on point and a feel for the character, giving me a new accessibility and the inspiration to catch up on everything I'd missed since Saga of the Swamp Thing #19. As the New 52 series launched me back on my quest of following the Swamp Thing, I'm going to make first review of issue 1. While I normally prefer to give my impressions during a review, my over all feelings of what the outstanding moments of of a theme, arc, or miniseries means to me, I'll be breaking my normal routine this time, and giving a full breakdown of this issue, in honor of how this series reignited my passion for the Avatar of the Green.

From it's opening scene, issue 1 makes it abundantly clear that this is a Swamp Thing that will very much be a part of the mainstream DC universe. From the offices of the Daily Planet, Clark Kent watches with enhanced Kryponian vision as the birds of Metropolis fall dead from the sky. Within the Bat Cave, the Dark Knight ponders over the bodies of dead bats that litter the floor of his hidden domicile. In the depths of the ocean, Aquaman floats surrounded by scores of dead fish.

Like a lot of kids, superheroes got me into comics. I was born in the mid-70s, so as a young boy, shows like the 60s Spider-Man cartoon, the Super Friends, the Incredible Hulk, and Wonder Woman, as well as the first Superman movie, were my initial gateways to comic book fandom. Over the years my interest in superheroes has steadily waned, and in the past few months has nearly fizzled out altogether. That being said, though, I still like the idea of the occult/horror protagonist existing on the fringes of a well established superhero universe, something the New 52 attempted to establish early on, with Swamp Thing being arguably it's most successful effort.

We next see Alec Holland, completely human (a departure from how he was last seen pre-N52) working at a construction site in Louisiana. While he works we see that while may be of mortal flesh and blood, his connection to the Green is still strong, as it seems like the local flora keeps trying to attach itself to him whenever he stands still long enough. After giving some herbal remedy advice to a co-worker, Holland is approached by Superman, who is seeking information about the mysterious animal deaths.

As much as I enjoy the idea of an occult/supernatural protagonist existing in a superhero universe, if often bothers me when the superheroes refuse to stay in their own lane. That being said, though, the interaction between Alec and Superman serves an important functions. First, during their conversations, the book establishes that the previous incarnation of the Swamp Thing did exist in this continuity, that he was known to the superhero community at large, and that they believed this being to have been Holland. Second, it establishes that, since his resurrection by as-yet unknown means, he possesses all of the memories and emotional attachments that the elemental had accrued over the years. Third, and most importantly for this entire dark corner of the DC universe that the New 52 attempted to establish, it clarified that matters of the occult are beyond the scope of the "normal" superheroes.

(In this respect, the occult isn't a guy in a shiny golden helmet shooting ankh shaped bolts of energy. It's malevolent clouds of biting black flies that burrow into your skull and snap your head around backwards. Speaking of which...)

Meanwhile, a mysterious force rips through an archeological dig in Northwest Arizona. An entire mastadon skeleton, as well as the slain and rapidly decaying remains of cattle, lizards, anything once alive, are swept up into a violent and seething whirlwind. Later that night, when three archeologists return to the site, they are set upon by a massive creature seemingly formed from an amalgam of the animal carcasses. The creature kills the men, making them the first in it's army of puppet soldiers.

Back in Louisiana, Holland awakes from a nightmare memory of his fiery death to find the interior of his hotel room completely covered in wild flora. Desiring nothing more than to have a normal life, Holland retrieves his newest batch of his fateful bio-reseorative formula from a safe, runs to the swamp behind the hotel, preparing to throw it away. Before he can, however, he is confronted by...the Swamp Thing?

It's rare that I like a single comic book issue, let alone an entire run or series, to read it more than once in a ten year span. I've just completed my fourth read of Scott Snyder's run on Swamp Thing for this blog. Swamp Thing #1 was the first New 52 issue I purchased, and one of the last I bought in hard copy form for myself for years. I absolutely love this book as a whole, and I'm excited to continue reviewing Snyder's run.  In our next installment I'll be giving my full personal-impression filled review of issues 2 through 6, collected (along with issue 1) in the trade paperback "Raise Them Bones".

Until then, think Green and be epic!

Comments

Popular Posts